Ginseng comes in many different shape and sizes. The easiest way of preparing ginseng is to make ginseng tea. It is great for all seasons of the year. Ginseng tea can be prepared with ginseng slices or with whole ginseng roots. Although ginseng slices are easier to prepare, ginseng root is known to have more potent effects than slices.
最简单使用西洋参就是来泡茶。 整参和参片都可以用来泡茶。虽然参片泡茶最简单， 可是整参含有更高的营养成分。
Using Ginseng Slices: place 1-2 tea spoons of slices into 1.5-2 liters of hot water, let it sit for 10-15 minutes. Enjoy a cup of cool tea, by placing the tea into a cooler for about 20-30 minutes.
Why are the whole roots more potent than the slices?
Some of the nutrients are lost as ginseng are cut into thin slices. This is due to exposure of a larger surface area to air, which makes the ginseng prone to oxidation. Whole ginseng roots have their outer skin intact, and expose less inner surface area, which allow them to preserve most of their nutrients and they also have a longer shelf life.
How are ginseng stored?
Store ginseng in a dry and cool place.
Chicken Ginseng Soup （西洋参鸡汤）
Do you lack energy? Do you want something healthy and tasty? This is the choice for you!
- 1 roasting chickens (black, whole, skinned and cut into big chunks)
- 1 tsp salt
- 50 grams ginseng (roots, cut up, or 1 3/4 oz)
- 1/8 cup chinese wolfberries (dried, Or Goji Berry)
- 15 dates (seeded dried)
- 8 cups water
- 1 只烤鸡（整鸡，无皮， 切成大块）
- 1 勺盐
- 50 克西洋参 （西洋参枝，整枝，如果太大可以切短）
- 1/8 杯枸杞
- 15 个干枣
- 8 杯水
- Rub chicken chunks with salt and let stand 10 minutes.
- Put all ingredients into an earthenware pot (or crock-pot) and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and let simmer, covered, for 3 1/2 hours.